Coalition Meetings and Events
NSHHC Quarterly Webinar: Healthy Housing for Older Adults – June 2016
In our June 7, 2016, webinar, Healthy Housing for Older Adults: Housing as a Platform for Community Health Systems, a panel of experts spoke about two successful housing-based services models (HBSMs), one in Vermont and one in Oregon, and their importance in addressing the social determinants of health, promoting population health, and advancing healthcare systems change. Evaluations of these programs revealed Medicare and Medicaid savings. You can access a recording of the webinar here.
Panelists and presentations:
- Nancy Rockett Eldridge, Executive Director,* National Center for Healthy Housing, Columbia, MD [pdf]
- Abigail M. Crocker, Ph.D., Research Assistant Professor, University of Vermont Department of Mathematics and Statistic [pdf]
- Howard Klink, Project Director, Housing with Services LLC, Klink Consulting Group, Portland, Oregon [pdf]
- Amanda Saul, Pacific Northwest Senior Program Director, Enterprise Community Partners, Portland, Oregon [pdf]
*As of May 2017, Ms. Eldridge now commands the Well-Home Network.
NSHHC Working Group updates:
“Find It, Fix It, Fund It: A Lead Elimination Action Drive” Launch Webinar – May 2016
In the wake of the Flint lead water crisis and increased national will to address the problem, NCHH and the National Safe and Healthy Housing Coalition have launched a bold new drive to eliminate lead poisoning. The NSHHC also established a Find It, Fix It, Fund It action drive workgroup and held the first webinar for this workgroup on May 25, 2016. You can access a recording of the webinar here.
Sign up to join the Find It, Fix It, Fund It Action Drive and/or add your organization’s logo to it.
National Safe and Healthy Housing Coalition Quarterly Meeting: Flint: Lessons Learned, Lead Poisoning, Its Prevention, and Its Consequences – April 2016
You can access a recording of the webinar here.
Below are the panelists and presentations from our April 12, 2016, meeting, Flint: Lessons Learned, Lead Poisoning, Its Prevention, and Its Consequences:
- Representative Dan Kildee, D-MI-5
- Professor Marty Kaufman, Professor and Chair, Department of Earth and Resource Science, University of Michigan-Flint
- Paul Haan, Founding Executive Director, Healthy Homes Coalition of West Michigan
- Patrick Breysse, PhD, CIH, Director, National Center for Environmental Health/Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (NCEH/ATSDR) at the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
NSHHC Working Group updates:
National Safe and Healthy Housing Coalition Hill Day – February 2016
Healthy Housing Hill Day was February 10, 2016, in Washington, DC
National Safe and Healthy Housing Coalition Quarterly Meeting – December 2015
- Boston’s 2012 Proactive Rental Housing Registry and Inspection Ordinance. Presenters: Indy Alvarez and Will Onuoha, Inspectional Services Department, City of Boston.
- California’s 2015 Mold Law. Presenters: Larry Brooks, Alameda County Healthy Homes, California Association of Code Enforcement Officers (CACEO), and California Healthy Housing Coalition; Brandon Kitagawa, Regional Asthma Management and Prevention (RAMP) and California Healthy Housing Coalition.
- Washington State’s Law Expanding Weatherization to Include Healthy Housing. Presenters: Representative June Robinson, Washington State Legislature; Michael Furze, Managing Director, Housing Improvements and Preservation Unit, Washington State Department of Commerce.
National Safe and Healthy Housing Coalition Quarterly Meeting – September 2015
You can view a recording of the webinar here. The audio starts immediately and the video starts in the second minute (2:25). Presentations:
- The New Fair Housing Rule and Healthy Housing – Debby Goldberg, National Fair Housing Alliance; [pdf]
- “Fundreds” – New Media, Outreach, and Education Resources around Lead Poisoning – Amanda Wiles, Operation Paydirt; [pdf]
- The toolkit for inviting a member of Congress to your program, your event, or simply to a meeting – Chris Corcoran, Policy Working Group Co-Chair, and Julie Kruse, National Center for Healthy Housing.
National Safe and Healthy Housing Coalition Hill Day – March 2015
Healthy Housing Hill Day was March 17, 2015, in Washington, DC.
The National Safe and Healthy Housing Coalition organized a Hill Day on March 17, 2015, as part of its campaign to restore funding for HUD’s Office of Lead Hazard Control and Health Homes and the CDC’s National Asthma Control Program and Lead Poisoning Prevention and Healthy Homes Program. Twenty advocates from seven key states participated in the Hill Day, conducting meetings with over 20 targeted House and Senate offices, including in-person meetings with seven members of Congress and meetings with leaders of the housing and health appropriations subcommittees.
Read about Hill Day 2015 here.